Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Birmingham Pediatric Surgeon

Yesterday Jeff & I met with Dr. Harmon at UAB/Childrens. He is a pediatric surgeon here in Birmingham. Dr. G thought it would be a good idea to meet someone in case of a emergency situation. He was very nice and all the information he gave us was on target with Cincinnati and the other doctors. That was reassuring.
After meeting with him and weighing all of our options we have officially decided to deliver in Cincinnati. Mainly for their experienced team and secondly for insurance purposes. My insurance does not cover me at UAB and with the cost that we just incurred in one days time at Cincinnati I can not imagine paying those bills!
Although it would be much more convenient to stay here in Birmingham and deliver the girls and for Blakely to have her surgery here, Cincinnati is where we are more comfortable, so that is where we are headed.
My next follow-up visit at CCH is next Tuesday the 6th. I am anxious to have everything checked out again and to get our "final" plan of action. Once we come home we will know the (cross our fingers) delivery date, etc.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mama's Profile

This is a picture of my belly 2 weeks ago when I was 22 weeks preggers. I haven't worked up the courage to take a picture more less display on the internet at 24 weeks. Yikes!
Posted by Picasa

The Girls Headshots


Posted by Picasa

Check up time

Today was my bi-weekly check-up with both Dr. Christine & Dr. Gonzalez-Ruiz.

At Dr. Christine's office the US technician looked at the girls and got me a great profile shot of Blakely, who for once was cooperating. Palmer, not so much. Everything seemed to be fine with them from their stand point. I measured at 30 weeks which is about 5 weeks ahead. I am actually on 24 weeks as of this past Monday. I will go back to Dr. Christine next week for my routine sugar test. Good times!

On to the next appointment which was at Dr. G's office. They measured the SCT and checked both babies CCO (combined cardiac output). This measurement lets them know if the blood supply is adequate to the needed parts. Dr. G said that obviously the SCT had grown and her CCO was slightly higher than last time. These two things are expected. As long as Blake is growing so will these. He puts things in the Ok or Not Ok category. She is in the Ok category. So this was great news! She is a fighter and a tough cookie. Dr. G said she is showing no signs of distress at this point.

We were to have already met with the pediatric surgeon and neurosurgeon here in Birmingham, but there has been a issue. The original surgeon is leaving Alabama. So we will now meet with someone else next week or at least by the time we go back to Cincinnati which is July 6th. We are only doing this as a Plan "B" course of action for if a emergency were to arise. Basically Jeff & I have decided to deliver in Cincinnati. I have been asking God to guide us on this decision and looks like he is making the decision for us. Thank goodness though that someone is making decisions for us-whew!

Dr. G also stated today that I will start steroids anywhere between 26-28 weeks of gestation to pump up the girls lungs since they will arrive so early.

Seems to be though that AK being so little was a fluke and that I am meant to have big babies. Blakely weighed in at 1 pound 11 ounces and Palmer at 1 pound 10 ounces. He said if they went to term they would be whoppers! I am thankful that my after dinner snack of oreos and milk is doing their body good! Because it is not doing mine any good at all!!!
They are in the 70th percentile which is wonderful for twins!

So today was a good day. I am anxious to go back to Cincinnati to get a final plan for their appearance. It seems so far away when I'm walking to my car in 100 degree weather, but in actuality it is only about 8-10 more weeks. Jeff & I will be parents of twin girls-who is scared???

I got a profile picture of each of the girls today and will post them soon. They of course look just like their daddy and big sis.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

A note from a friend

My grandmother's friend, Kim Posey, sells Longerberger baskets. She has decided to start a fund for Blakely from her commission profits. So sweet. Here is the information.

FUNDRAISER SPONSORED BY KIM POSEY, INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT FOR LONGABERGER

BASKETS FOR BLAKELY: JUNE 11-JULY 31, 2010

FUNDRAISER TO HELP WITH FINANCES INSURANCE DOESN'T COVER

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN THIS WAY, PLEASE GO TO:
www.longaberger.com/kimposey

PLACE A ORDER FROM THE WISH LIST, THE CURRENT FLYER, ONLINE SPECIALS, AND THE FACTORY STORE. (HOMESTEAD IS EXCLUDED)

MY COMMISSION FROM EACH ORDER WILL BE DONATED TO THE FUNDRAISER.

EVERYONE BENEFITS: YOU SUPPORT A FRIEND, GET A WONDERFUL PRODUCT, & JEFF AND KRISTEN GET THE FINANCIAL SUPPORT NEEDED!

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW KRISTEN AND BLAKE'S MEDICAL PROGRESS GO TO KRISTEN'S BLOG www.ohbaby2010.blogspot.com

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME AT kposey47@yahoo.com

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dr. Gonzalez visit

Today was our bi-weekly visit to Dr. Gonzalez who is the maternal fetal medicine doctor at Brookwood. I had a doppler and a echo amongst other ultrasound test today. The doctor said that the teratoma had grown but not much and that the cardiac output was higher but only my a millimeter. This is expected. The twins are both growing so obviously the teratoma and cardiac output will increase each time. They both measured 1 pound and 2 ounces which is right in the middle of the road. Not too big not too small. Hooray! I can't believe they are that big, but happy they are. Dr. Gonzalez agreed with everything the doctors at Children's in Cincinnati said. He is setting us up with a consultation with a couple of pedatric surgeons here in Birmingham. Jeff and I want to get as many opinions about her surgery as possible. Jeff is still wanting me to deliver in Cincinnati and Blake have her surgery there. We are only meeting with the surgeons here just to make sure they aren't as qualified. It would obviously be easier to deliver and have her surgery here, but we want the best doctor. So location doesn't matter right now.
I am not sure when we will meet with the surgeons here at Children's of Birmingham. I will see my OB and the MFM doctor in two weeks, then back to Cincinnati for another appointment. By that point we will have made our decision. Thank you again for all praying. Please continue to pray because either way this is going to be a long journey.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Baby B (Palmer) 4-D

Palmer 4-D @ 22 weeks. Blakely would not cooperate (shocking I know) to get her picture taken.
Posted by Picasa