Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Grace's Kitchen



As I posted earlier in the year, Grace's Kitchen is a food mission organization here in Birmingham. The founders are members at Hunter Street where I attend church. Every week on Thursday morning bright and early, volunteers to to a nearby local park and feed the homeless who gather while also sharing the gospel. For the summer months instead of the usual turkey sand. we have been making yummy trail mix!





This is my week to make my share! I so enjoy doing it and it gives me a sense of pride knowing my efforts make a difference to someone. As a stay at home mom of three it is very hard to get out into the community as much as I would like too to assist others, so this is a great way. Plus the trail mix is super yum and I always have left overs that I tend to munch and munch and munch on until whoops its all gone. If you buy all generic ingredients from Walmart it will make 30 bags filled with about 1 cup each for around $20.00! That will feed 30 people.





I am posting the recipe below for everyone. For those of you in the Birmingham and surrounding areas who ever feel led to make granola or turkey sand. for Grace's Kitchen please feel free to contact me and I can put you in touch with the right lady.










Honey Trail Mix










6 cups corn chex (half box)





1 1/2 cups roasted salted almonds (half of a 16 oz. bag)





1 1/2 cups cocktail peanuts (half of a 16 oz. container)





1 6 oz. package dried cranberries





1 1/2 cups golden raisins (half of a 15 oz. bag)





3 cups tiny twist pretzels (half of 16 oz. bag)





1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted





3/4 cup honey





16+ zip top sandwich baggies










**This amount of ingredients makes 15 bags**










1. Combine all dry ingredients





2. Melt butter





3. Combine melted butter and honey together





4. Mix honey/butter mixture with dry ingredients





5. spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet





6. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes





7. Place on wax paper to cool for about 2 hours.





8. Scoop 1 cup into baggies.










Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment